But, what’s also very noticeable is the wonderful, outgoing spirit of the residents and visitors from surrounding areas.
I was traveling solo, so perhaps I was a bit more attuned to my environment than usual, but I also truly believe that
The highlight, by far, was being invited to dine with 3 ladies from Mississippi. They realized I was dining alone and invited me to join them at their table. I'm sure I should have refused, but completely out of character as it was for me, I took them up on their incredible gratiousness. I was so nervous though, I was chattering on endlessly. I'm sure they'd had their fill of me by the time dinner ended!
* Emeril’s – posh and delicious http://www.emerils.com/restaurants/neworleans_emerils
* Gordon Biersch Brewery – chain, but lots to choose from and lots of activity
*Lucy’s Retired Surfers Bar – got the feeling this place is a great late night hangout. http://lucysretiredsurfers.com/
* Mulates – traditional cajun food – live music every night www.mulates.com
* Riche by Todd English – way swanky and pricey. I stopped in for the Friday afternoon seafood boil. Huge shrimp, tasty oysters, great gumbo at a fantastic mid-afternoon price.
French Quarter – locally owned (I think):
* Tujagues – 2nd oldest restaurant in
* Gumbo Shop – wonderful Cajun cuisine, reasonably priced. www.gumboshop.com/restaurant_menu/restaurant_menu.asp
* The Market Café – great place for breakfast. Stand in the long line at Café Du Monde to quickly eat a beignet (aka as donuts) or keep going a couple blocks further to my very favorite spot! There’s almost always live jazz, the bloody marys are excellent and the pace, very relaxing!!!
* Pat O’Briens - www.patobriens.com – more of tourist tradition than a local tradition is my guess, but it’s well worth the stop. Maybe one of these days I’ll actually eat here.
French Quarter - chains:
* Landry’s Seafood House –
* Bubba Gump Shrimp Company – where the movie "Forrest Gump" plays all the time. I thought the menu was rather limited, but a fun place to hang and listen to the music www.bubbagump.com/locations/new_orleans.html